Applewood® Vegan Spinach and Pine Nut Stuffed Peppers
Smoky and creamy stuffed peppers, tasty as a main course or starter.
2 heaped tbs pine nuts
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbs olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
3-4 large handfuls of fresh spinach, washed and drained
250g ready cooked rice
150g Applewood® Vegan, grated
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbs fresh basil, chopped or 1 tsp dried basil
Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
1. Cut the tops off the peppers, remove and discard the seeds and pith from each. Retain the tops (lids). Trim the bottom of each pepper, if necessary, to ensure they stand up.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and dry fry the pine nuts until nicely golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Return the pan to the heat and add 1 tbs olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until slightly coloured and softened. Next, add the spinach and wilt, stirring occasionally, approximately 3-4 minutes. Season well and add the cooked rice breaking up any lumps with the spoon, heat for a few more minutes until piping hot.
4. Add the grated Applewood® Vegan to the rice mix and check the seasoning, adjusting if required. Pile the stuffing into each of the peppers making sure it’s well packed in. Place the stuffed peppers into an ovenproof dish and top each with its lid.
5. Prepare the tomato sauce by simply mixing the chopped tomatoes with the basil and season to taste. Heat the sauce up in the frying pan before pouring it into the dish around the base of the tomatoes. Drizzle a little olive oil over each of the peppers.
6. Place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. The peppers should be tender and slightly coloured. Transfer each pepper to individual serving plates and spoon a little of the tomato sauce with each before serving.