Applewood® Vegan Lasagne
Delicious creamy vegetarian lasagne makes a warming meal to share!
1/2 cup lentils (100g)
50g Applewood® Vegan cheese
1 stick of celery
Handful of fresh basil
250ml chopped tomato
75ml red wine
3 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp flour
500ml non-dairy milk (we use oat) warmed
Salt & pepper to taste
200-250g lasagne sheets
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Preheat the oven to 180C.
FOR LENTIL BOLOGNAISE:
1. Soak the lentils according to package directions.
2. Heat some oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, celery and carrot (finely chopped). Add salt & pepper and basil to taste. Cook over medium heat, until golden brown.
3. Add the wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates. Add the tomato & lentils and simmer till lentils are soft. Approximately 1 hour.
FOR VEGAN BÉCHAMEL:
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until thickened and bubbling, but not browned (approx. 2 minutes).
2. Warm milk slightly and pour into the pan and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened.
3. Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and grated Applewood® Vegan to the pan and stir to combine.
Layer the mince in an oven proof pan with the lasagne sheets.
Top with béchamel sauce and top with lashings of Applewood® Vegan cheese.
Bake in the oven at 180C for 30 minutes.
Check, and if the knife goes through easily it is ready to serve. Otherwise cook further